Want to have whiter and healthier smile?
Healthy smile emanates in many shades and our teeth by nature are not flawlessly white.
There are various reasons why teeth changes color overtime.
- Food & drinks- Coffee, tea and red wine are staining because of the color pigments chromogens.
- Tobacco- Smoking
- Age- Overtime the outer enamel layer gets thinner with brushing and yellowish dentin starts to show up.
- Trauma- Your tooth may change in color after a trauma because it reacts to an injury by laying down more dentin, which is darker layer under enamel.
- Medication- There is some medications that may have certain side effects on our teeth.
There are several and easy methods to brighten your smile such as, Whitening treatments or bleaching (In-office bleaching from your dentist or at home bleaching kit) or Whitening products (Over the counter whitening toothpaste, Stain removal toothpaste, etc.).
It is important to talk to your dentist first before trying any such, to check what kind of treatment (whitening) is suitable for your dental needs, as whiteners may not be suitable for all types of teeth discoloration.
The safest method to keep your teeth white naturally is to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes.
- Cleaning in between your teeth (flossing) once a day.
- Restrict consuming acidic foods/beverages and food/drinks that can cause stains on teeth.
- Don’t smoke tobacco or cigarettes
- Use of whitening toothpaste may be an option (ask your dentist about it)
- Regular visit to your dentist for checkups and dental cleaning.
Leave a reply