Tartar or calculus is the hardened form of plaque on your teeth. It’s a mineral build up on your teeth that are whitish-yellow, brown or black in color.
Tartar formation is harmful to gingival health because it serves as a trap for increased plaque development and retention. The bacteria in the plaque irritate the gum that leads to inflammation, bleeding and if left untreated can progressed to a more serious form of gum disease known as periodontitis. The body’s immune system releases chemicals to fight the bacteria, which, along with the substances the bacteria release, can damage the bone and other tissues that hold the teeth in place. This can ultimately lead to tooth loss and bone degradation. Furthermore, studies have shown that bacteria in gum disease may contribute to heart disease and other health conditions.
It is difficult to remove dental tartar by brushing and flossing only, the best way is to visit a dentist. Tartar buildup can be removed with ultrasonic tools or dental hand instruments performed by dentist. To avoid tartar build, it is important to brush teeth twice a day and use dental floss once a day. Choose a fluoridated toothpaste and antibacterial mouthwash. Be aware that every time you eat you are also nourishing the bacteria in your mouth. Drinking plenty of water during and after meals may also help diminish plaque and tartar build-up.Leave a reply →