Bad breath is an unpleasant odor that comes from our mouth, its sometimes called halitosis. Bad breath can happen anytime (especially if not properly cleaned) because of the millions of bacteria that naturally lives in our mouth or it can be long lasting depending on the cause. Some of which is caused by the food left in our mouth then bacteria will feed on it and starts to leave a foul smelling odor, poor dental hygiene, dry mouth, gum disease, infection, smoking, severe dieting or it may also be a sign of something more serious like medical conditions such as sinus conditions, gastric reflux, diabetes, liver or kidney disease.
Bad breath caused by dental problems can be prevented easily with proper daily oral health and professional care. To prevent from having bad breath, here are some tips which may help you:
- Brush teeth twice daily and floss in between teeth.
- Use tongue scrapper to eradicate odor causing bacteria which develops on your tongue.
- Use of over the counter mouthwash or you may seek your dentist advice which type of mouthwash will work in your case.
- If you are wearing removable dentures, take them out and wash it with water after eating to flush out remaining food particles and also at night brush with toothbrush and toothpaste and wash it thoroughly before using them the next day.
- Try to eat healthy and drink water. Avoid sticky sugary and strong odor food and beverages.
- Quit or if not at least lessen smoking.
- Visit your dentist and have a regular scaling and check-up.