A healthy smile comes in many shades and our teeth by nature are not perfectly white. There are some reasons why your teeth become not so bright overtime.
- Food & drinks- Coffee, tea and red wine are staining because of the color pigments chromogens.
- Tobacco- Smoking
- Age- Overtime the outer enamel layer gets thinner with brushing and yellowish dentin starts to show up.
- Trauma- Your tooth may change in color after a trauma because it reacts to an injury by laying down more dentin which is darker layer under enamel.
- Medication- There is some medications that may have certain side effects on our teeth.
If you are conscious about your smile lacking of some sparkle and is more yellow that it used to be, then don’t be upset. There are several and easy methods to brighten your smile either by natural home remedies, Whitening treatments or bleaching (In-office bleaching from your dentist at home bleaching kit) or Whitening products (Over the counter whitening toothpaste, Stain removal toothpaste, etc.). It is important to talk to your dentist first before doing any such to check what kind of treatment (whitening) is suitable for your dental needs, as whiteners may not correct all types of teeth discoloration depending on the case.
The best way to keep your teeth white is to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes.
- Cleaning in between your teeth (flossing) once a day.
- Restrict consuming acidic foods/beverages and food/drinks that can cause stains on teeth.
- Don’t smoke
- Use of whitening toothpaste may be an option (ask your dentist about it)
- Regular visit to your dentist for checkups and dental cleaning.