Layperson most of the time have difficulty identifying whether a dental problem is emergency condition or not, always remember any dental concern which requires serious attention to decrease the pain, stop bleeding or save a tooth is considered as a dental emergency. In this case is it very important to visit your dentist as soon as possible or if your dentist is unavailable any local emergency treatment facilities near you. Nevertheless there are first aid treatments on your dental emergency that you can do while heading to emergency treatment to help alleviate your symptoms.
Here are some of the most common dental emergencies and how to deal with them according to American Dental Association:
- Knocked-out tooth -keep it moist at all times. Try placing the tooth back in the socket without touching the root if you can. If not possible, place it in between your cheek and gums, in milk, or use tooth preservation product with ADA Seal of Acceptance. Then, rush to your dentist or emergency room right away. If baby tooth, the best thing to do is search for the tooth, keep it moist and go to dentist. Your dentist can see whether the entire tooth, or just part of it, came out. Your dentist can also determine whether to implant it again.
- Cracked tooth- straightaway wash mouth with warm water to clean the area. Place cold compresses on the face to keep any swelling down. See your dentist as soon as possible.
- Accidentally bite your tongue or lip- clean the area mildly with water and put on cold compress. See your dentist or go to the emergency room if there is excessive bleeding, the bleeding won’t stop or you are in a lot of pain.
- Toothache- Wash your mouth with warm water to sanitize. Gently use dental floss to remove any food caught between your teeth. Do not put aspirin on your aching tooth or gums; it may burn the gum tissue. If the pain persists, contact your dentist.
- Broken Jaw- Apply cold compresses to control the swelling and go to your dentist or a hospital emergency treatment straightaway.
Some of dental emergencies might be prevented from happening like avoid chewing ice cubes, hard candies and other hard food which can crack your tooth. Wear mouth guard for any physical contact sports and activities; never use your teeth as a tool like opening a bottle or using it as scissors. It is very crucial to maintain our teeth and gums healthy and intact because it is irreplaceable, Visiting your dentist for a regular dental check-up and cleaning is important together with proper brushing and flossing.Leave a reply →